Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Jess's First Day on the Job!

Hi Everyone!

Well well well! I hope everyone is doing well! I am doing great! I just started my first day of work in the lab today. I won't go too into the scientific details but my work has to do with goats rather than cows like Matty's working on!

There's a type of goat that is somewhat resistant to a certain nematode parasite. People have since crossed this goat with another species of goat that is larger and yields more product. So my job is to correlate resistance and size to mix and see which mixed breed yields the most product and is most resistant to the nematode! Fascinating isn't it? Haha, I'm sure you are all just nodding your heads in agreement! But trust me, all the lab work I'm doing is very relevant to my field and it's great just getting my 'feet wet' so to speak, you know?
But, alas, before I work on that project, (which I think will be my very own) I'm training with two people who are working on the phylogenetics of chickens! The importance of this is to observe the evolution of the chickens throughout Africa and compare that with chicken samples all over the world. Very important today with avian flu going around! Very tedious too! I worked on over 200 samples today! It was very tiring since I'm not used to sitting over a bench all day working! But I think I'll get used to it!

So, in short that's my account of what I'll be doing. I haven't given up hope yet with finding STD research work, but, as I said before it's kind of hard starting anything without being able to get into town. So I'll be phoning around once we sort out our car business. And, of course, I'll be looking into doing some work at a sexual health clinic of some sort as well...ahhh...getting busy already! Excellent! Talk to you all soon and take care!

No comments: