Friday, March 09, 2007

Last Day of Work, Hippos, and Carnivore!

YES!!

It has finally come. My last day of work. I never thought it would happen! Things are wrapping up here at ILRI and I have to say that I feel somewhat...indifferent. My project had hit a few obstacles in the last week and I am leaving the project unfinished. However, I'm preparing a parting package for whoever will be taking over and I'm hoping that it's everything they will need to carry on! I have to say I felt both frustrated and stressed that things didn't turn out perfectly with all my experiments but alas, thus is science, no? I've definitely learned a tremendous amount and come back with excellent experiences in the lab which is all I could really hope for! So, cheers to that!

On a happier note, Chris and Chelsea (Matty's uni friends) have been visiting with us for the last couple of days! So yesterday we went back to Lake Naivasha and decided to go on a boat tour! There were hippos GALORE!! I have to say that I was very enthusiastic about this because before I left for Africa I had chosen the hippopotamus as my official mascot! I think they're really fascinating because they can be one of the most VICIOUS animals and are herbivores. How weird is that? Anyways, the day was rounded out with a beautiful lunch at Drifters, a coffee under the Acacias at the country club as well as a walk around the grounds. It was a good day.

Tonight we have planned a dinner at Carnivore. It's a "nyama choma" restaurant. Nyama Choma in Kenya is pretty much the equivalent of different barbecued meats. Carnivore is kind of a swanky version of "nyama choma" and on top of the regular beef, chicken, pork, and lamb there are more exotic meats like ostrich, crocodile, and camel. It's going to be wonderfully delicious! Needless to say, being the food lover that I am, I'm thoroughly excited! Then tomorrow, the whole company plan to visit Amboselli to visit the African savannah before Chris and Chelsea return home on Monday. Phew. It's going to be great!!

Alright, time to get back to work but I'll post soon about Amboselli!!

Jessica

PS 4 days left until Madagsacar! WOO HOO!

No comments: