Monday, February 12, 2007

Back from Mexico and back to work!

Hello everyone!

I want to start off my post with saying how good it was to see everyone in Mexico!! Congratulations Kirsten and Jason! It feels really good to have a sister now!! I can scarce believe it! I'm also really excited to come home and see everyone that I missed in Mexico...I wish all of you had been there! But Matt and I have set the date for our return so will be seeing you folks soon! So everybody mark your calendars for APRIL 7th so you can give Matt and I a proper welcome! HA HA!!

As most of you know, I also went to London on the way back to Nairobi! That was super fun thanks to my friend, Kara! She met me there and we had some good shopping and pub times in the UK. I think I spent too much. No surprise there!

Things are back to normal here in Nairobi. I am continuing my research that I was doing before on Cattle genetic diversity and will hopefully be doing that only over the next 4 weeks. I was really worried about finishing my project on time but now it seems as though it will be okay as Joel, a fellow lab technician, will be teaching me how to use a robot for all my experiments! YAY!! No more tedious micropipetting for hours on end! WOOHOO!!!

Not surprisingly, Nairobi is still the same...a little crazy, a little crowded, etc etc. It was really good to get out of the city this weekend though when Matt's friend, Jamie, came to visit. We went back to Hell's Gate and dined at the Naivasha Country Club where we had coffee, lamb, chicken, salads and other tasty treats under the Acacia trees. Very posh! It was great welcoming Jamie to Nairobi and feeding off her enthusiasm over Africa! It seems to me that after you stay in a place for a period of time, it loses some of the magic you felt about it when you first arrived. But, when someone comes and visits certain things you've grown accustomed to become new again! Like, the crazy crowded markets on the side of the road, the VERY NOISY preaching over loud speakers on Sunday (Saturday and any other random day people feel like broadcasting their feelings and beliefs on a loud phone), not to mention, the insane driving conditions complete with large potholes and mad matatu drivers! Trust me, very UNLIKE anything in Canada!

Anyways, I think our next trip will be with more of Matt's friends, Chris and Chelsea, if they decide to visit. We're hoping to either go to Masaai Mara or some other equivalent park! Then...off to Madagsacar (I hope)!

See you all soon!!!

1 comment:

Another Day said...

Hey Jess and Matt! Glad to hear that your trip to Mexico was a success, Jess - I will soon be heading there myself for reading week with my family, in fact! I'm also happy to hear that you'll be coming home soon - I miss you guys! I think I'll be either in Vancouver or Victoria this summer, so we'll be able to hang out. Enjoy your last couple months in Africa - lots of love, Kristin